This episode is part of the Kingdom Marketing Mindset Series. We originally recorded these teachings inside our Christian Book Academy Facebook group as live videos. However, we wanted to also encourage you in the writing, publishing, and marketing of your books.
Today’s topic is: Celebrity Culture
We live in a celebrity culture even in the church and ministry.
Subscribe to the podcast here.
Notes from this episode:
- Introduce the topic for today
- We live in a celebrity culture even in the church and ministry. Our pastor Daniel Grothe said, “When people try to give you accolades receive it but don’t fall in love with it.”
- Sometimes it feels like my heart is walking through a land mine trying to navigate it all. Honestly, I would love to leave social media and all speaking stages but God has shown me it’s a battle and a battle worth fighting.
- A desire to be famous was a temptation even from the beginning at the Tower of Babel. “This will make us famous” Genesis 11:4 (NLT). Other translations say let’s make a name for ourselves. It’s such a temptation in our social media world. What if we instead desire to make Jesus famous?
- John 7:1-10
“You can’t become famous if you hide like this! If you can do such wonderful things, show yourself to the world!” – John
- God tells Abram He will bless him and make him famous and he will be a blessing to others. God initiated it. He was the one that made Abram famous. We are blessed to be a blessing. (Genesis 12:2)
- “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us. Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other.”
Comparison and Competition
- Sometimes our celebrity culture stirs up comparison and competition within us. I often struggle with this and God is continuing to grow me in this area.
- Ultimately, He has reminded me that there is no competition in the Kingdom of God.
- Humility is all about dying to yourself. It’s not a popular topic in our culture.
- John 1:8 – This is what we are, simply a witness to point others to the true light Jesus. We empty ourselves in humility to be filled with Christ – to make Him everything. It’s not about us.
- “Here is the path to the higher life: down, lower down! Just as water always seeks and fills the lowest place, so the moment God finds men abased and empty, His glory and power flow in to exalt and to bless.” – Andrew Murray, Humility
- It won’t always make sense in the world‘s way of thinking. Especially when it comes to marketing.
- “Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.” – Philippians
- “Once we have overcome our own desire to be elevated, our own desire to be recognized, our own desire to be independent…then God can use us as a part of His body to accomplish what the body of Christ was left here to accomplish.” Rich Mullins
One minute reflection
Instrumental music used with permission: “My Loving Kindness” by Tammy Sorenson. Find out more at http://tammysorenson.com
Get Instant Access: Business Meeting with God
Get instant access to FREE video training and PDF download where you will learn the steps we recommend when having a weekly business meeting with God here: http://www.trainingauthors.com/businessmeeting/
Share Your Breakthroughs
Share what impacted you from this post and any breakthroughs God gave you as a result in the comments below.