Do you have this list as a writer?
Recently I heard someone recommend creating a joy list and I was intrigued.
What is a Joy List?
It is a list of things that make you come alive and bring you joy and contentment. They do NOT need to make money or change the world. If they bring you joy, they have value.
I encourage you to set aside a few minutes today to brainstorm 5-10 items you can add to your joy list.
Well, as I’m often reminded, we can’t give from an empty cup.
It’s not selfish to be intentional about doing the things that make you come alive. It will help you show up in the world in an even better way.
Plus, as writers, we need to continually fill our creative well with inspiration. Many times, the things on our joy list will help fill us up and allow us to write even better books.
Have you filled your creative well recently?
Here are some examples of what I brainstormed for my Joy List to give you some ideas. I always find it easier to see examples first and so I wanted to share my list with you.
- Painting: creating something beautiful from nothing.
- A hike in the mountains (bonus joy if it also includes some kind of water – stream, river, lake, waterfall, etc.)
- A run on a clear blue sky day with the sun shining, listening to an inspirational podcast or my “get up & dance” playlist.
- Breakfast date with CJ. Lingering conversation over good food.
- Sunrises & sunsets. New masterpieces each day.
- Fresh, new, beautiful flowers from Trader Joe’s every week.
- Long walks on the beach.
- Epsom salt & lavender bath with candles (possibly reading a good book).
- Cuddling up with my super soft blanket & a good book.
- Long hugs and cuddling with CJ.
- Laughing with my family. Any time I spend my family brings me joy.
- Short 1-2 day overnight trips with CJ exploring somewhere in Colorado.
- A day at home alone with nothing to do & nowhere to go except to relax, read or spend time in my art studio.
- Thrift store shopping & finding amazing deals.
- Floating in my kayak with the sun shining on me and a good view.
- Relaxing in a hammock.
- Deep, meaningful conversations about life and God.
- Learning something new and then sharing it with others.
- Beautiful views of nature.
- An unrushed cup of hot tea.
- Hearing from someone that something I shared or created impacted them or changed their life in some small way.
- Skiing, getting to the top of the ski lift and taking in the beautiful view. Long runs down the ski slopes enjoying the scenery.
- Walking through botanical gardens.
- My nieces 🙂 Spending quality time with them.
- Watching the birds at my bird feeder.
- Lily’s chocolate 🙂
- Leaf peepin’ with CJ!
- Getting lost in worship music whether a church or on a run, etc.
- Dancing with CJ – fun and crazy fast dancing as well as being held close by him in a slow dance.
- The sound of water – crashing waves, lapping lake, a bubbling brook, mountain stream, etc.
- New art supplies 🙂
- Waking up with no alarm clock.
- Morning time with Jesus, the peace that comes, working through my emotions, hearing from God on a specific issue, revelation from the Bible. Slow quiet mornings with my hot tea and God.
- Holding a new book I wrote and published in my hands for the first time.
- Booking a plane ticket to go see my family.
- Exploring a new hiking trail with CJ.
- Sitting by a fire watching it dance.
- The aroma of scented candles filling a room.
Those are just a few ideas from my list.
Now it’s your turn!
Joy List for Writers
If you want a worksheet to brainstorm your list, I have one for you.
Enter your email address below to download the Joy List handout.
It is part of a worksheet I recently created for my 2020 Vision Workshop but wanted to share it with you as well.
I hope you take a few minutes to brainstorm your list and then start doing more of the things that make you come alive! I really believe it will make a difference in your writing this year.
Academy for Writers
We invite you to join our academy for writers called Christian Book Academy where we help you conquer your fear inside a real community, write words that will outlive you and publish books that fulfill your calling.
Find out more here: http://christianbookacademy.com
Have Comments or Questions?
Share them in the comments below.