Are you an author that has a book available on Amazon.com? If so, you may be losing book sales because readers can’t buy your book. “How is this possible” you ask?
It’s because Amazon is country specific.
That means that every book has a different link for every country – that’s over half a dozen links for every book! Can you imagine trying to include all of those in your marketing? Most authors just list the link to their book in their country – and that’s what we had been doing up until recently.
But on occasion, we would get e-mail from readers saying that they wanted to buy our books, but they couldn’t because they weren’t in the US. It was a relatively quick fix of e-mailing them back with the correct link for the book in their country – but how many readers had that problem and didn’t contact us? We’ll never know. Another fix that we’ve seen other authors use, is to add as many Amazon links as possible to their sales page – but that looks tacky.
So today, I want to share a really cool, free tool with you. It’s called SmartURL, and what it does is let you connect all of your different Amazon links for all the different countries, and create one link that will automatically re-direct readers to the correct link for their country – pretty cool huh?
— Training Authors (@trainingauthors) November 19, 2013
Here’s how it works:
1. Pull up one of your books on Amazon.com.
2. Copy that link in it’s simplest form – i.e., http://amazon.com/dp/YOUR-BOOKS-ASIN/ (replace YOUR-BOOKS-ASIN with your books ASIN – this can be found in the product details section. For paperback books you can use your ISBN-10)
If you are an affiliate for Amazon, you can add your affiliate tag and then copy it. That link looks like this:
http://amazon.com/dp/YOUR-BOOKS-ASIN/?tag=YOURAFFILIATEID-20 (again, replace the YOUR-BOOKS-ASIN as well as the YOUR-AFFILITE-ID which you can find in your Amazon affiliate account)
Just note that your affiliate ID is also country specific as well, so if you want to collect royalties on affiliate sales outside your home country, you will need to set up additional affiliate accounts (just like you do for author central). As mentioned by Andy in the comments below, the ending number will also change based off the country (-20 is US, -21 is UK, etc.).
3. Next, go to http://manage.smarturl.it/ and paste your link into the default URL box.
4. Then paste it into the URL box in the country destinations section and replace the “.com” with the correct .ending for the country you want to use (see the list below)
5. Select the country that belongs to that link in the country box right before the URL.
6. Click the plus sign after the URL box to add additional countries.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 as needed – You can see a live example of this below:
Here are the country codes and .com replacements for the 12 Amazon websites:
United States: US – .com
United Kingdom: GB – .co.uk
France: FR – .fr
Japan: JP – .co.jp
Canada: CA – .ca
Germany: DE – .de
Spain: ES – .es
Italy: IT – .it
India: IN – .in
Mexico: MX – .mx
Brazil: BR – .com.br
Australia: AU – .com.au
8. Select a custom URL – we recommend the books title if available
9. Add a short description (150 characters or less)
10. Click create!
This free tool will also help you track your links. It will show you how many times it was clicked during a certain time frame. What countries are using it. The type of device. And more!
I recorded a short tutorial of the process for you below so you can see it in action – it is kind of blurry, but you’ll get the idea:
I hope you’ll take advantage of this free tool to take your marketing to the next level.
Here’s to your book marketing success!
Share this with your author friends: