This episode is part of the Finisher series. We originally recorded these teachings inside our Christian Book Academy Facebook group as live videos. However, we wanted to also encourage you in the writing, publishing, and marketing of your books.
Today’s topic is: The Key to Motivation
“Where there is no vision, the people perish.” Proverbs 29:18 KJV
Dream with God About Your Writing
Subscribe to the podcast here.
Notes from this episode:
- “Where there is no vision, the people perish.” Proverbs 29:18 KJV
- Visualization and dreaming with God are both keys to having the motivation you need to publish your book.
A few testimonials from Christian Book Academy members from our Virtual Writing Retreat this past weekend:
“What an amazing day! I started the day feeling very shaky, like what am I doing? But I ended the day with a solid outline. Seeing how everything ties together in my book and knowing the first draft ending is around the corner.” – Nancy Booth
“I typed in over 6000 words over the past 2 days. Thank you, Shelley and CJ for all that you put into this! It was great!” – Elizabeth Hancock Zacharias
“I had a stretch goal to finish the hard edits. At 4 pm on Saturday, I clicked the last edit. I walked away after that to try to get my head around it. I have worked relentlessly since August.” – John Rausin
“Never have I accomplished so much in such a short time. The setup is perfect to keep me going. The resources are excellent and so is this group. Accomplished: Have 20 devotionals edited. Adding endnotes for quotes. Next will be to find some images for the ebook. Thank you, Shelley, for your time and enthusiasm. You have pumped me up that this publishing thing is doable. It’s taken a number of years for me to find a group that can lead me to do this on my own. Hurrah. Literally jumping up and down. So thankful to God for leading me to you!!!” – Jan Cox
Dreaming with God
- The William Carey story.
- How big are your dreams of what God could do with your book? I encourage you to not limit God and pray boldly.
- It’s not about coming up with our own dreams and our own goals.
- What is God’s purpose for your writing? Sometimes it won’t be revealed fully until later.
- If you need help with this, I encourage you to go through our 7-step guided journaling experience to Dream with God about your writing here.
The Power of Visualization
- Visualize holding your book in your hands.
- Visualize people being impacted by your words. Words that will outlive you.
- It’s as if you put glasses on that make everything come into focus.
Go at the Pace of God’s Grace
- Kingdom writers are not in a hurry. Jesus was never in a hurry.
- Jesus resolutely looked to the cross. He fixed his vision on the finish line His Father gave him.
- He didn’t hurry to Lazarus. Whether our writing has been dead for 4 days or 4 decades, Jesus can raise it from the dead.
- He can breathe life into our decay. Our resurrected writing brings glory to God.
Knowing Your Why
- New Year’s resolutions are hollow unless you have something deeply motivating you.
- What is your why? It needs to be bigger than you.
- Not knowing your why is like heading out on a road trip and not having an address to plug into your GPS for the destination.
- You might try following other people or just take the route that feels best at the moment. But in the end, you may end up driving in circles and getting frustrated.
- Instead of following the experts and gurus, allow God to lead you. Yes, learn skill sets. That’s what we teach you inside Christian Book Academy. But also realize that your path will look different than everyone else’s and that’s good!
One minute reflection: What is God saying to you today?
Picture: A small child who falls and gets hurt. What do they typically do? They don’t try to call a doctor or find an emergency room. They don’t figure out if their insurance will cover the treatment. No. They simply run into the arms of their parents for help and comfort. I sense that some of you are stuck today. You’ve fallen and are hurt. You are stuck where you fell trying to figure out what to do next on your own. All you need to do today is to get up and run into the arms of your Father. If you can’t run, call His name and He will run to you. He is here to help you and comfort you. He has a supernatural answer to every natural problem you face.
Close in prayer
Instrumental music used with permission: “My Loving Kindness” by Tammy Sorenson. Find out more at http://tammysorenson.com
Get Instant Access: Publishing Map
Get instant access to our free PDF, Your Publishing Map, and a video of Shelley Hitz explaining the publishing process here: http://www.trainingauthors.com/publishing-map/
Share Your Breakthroughs
Share what impacted you from this post and any breakthroughs God gave you as a result in the comments below.